Saturday, April 3, 2010

Cooper River Bridge Run





Last weekend I ran in the Cooper River Bridge Run.  This event took place in Charleston, South Carolina, which I will have to write about in another post.  Charleston is one of the most beautiful beach towns that I love and always look forward to visiting.

I must say though, last weekend on the drive there I wasn't as thrilled about going there as what I usually am.  I was headed to run in my first race (other than high school track meets).  I was about to run a 10k with 38,000 other people, with no training.  Yes.  NO TRAINING!  What was I thinking?

The start of the event was great.  Getting up at 6:30 didn't have me in the most pleasant of all moods, but as soon as the gun went off the excitement and adrenaline took over.  Everyones running, cheering, and yelling.  All you can do is join in and keep up with everyone else.  The first two miles were easy breezy.  Then came the uphill part of the bridge.  I thought I was going to die.  My run turned in to a very weak, almost walking, jog.  The second I got to the arch of the bridge I was good to go again.  Once I got to the bottom I realized I had just ran 3 miles.  Wow.  I thought three miles was where I was going collapse, get sick, or possibly die, but I still had it in me.  I told myself I could do another mile which ended up being the rest of the race.

I didn't do to great with a time of an hour and 10 minutes.  But I am very proud of myself.  I ran my first ever 10k.  With no training.  If you were to tell me to go run it again right now, theres now way I could.  The race atmosphere was exhilarating.  It really motivates you when you are approaching the 5th mile and a man in his sixties passes you, barefoot.  Or five runaway brides, a gorilla or two, and a Easter bunny.  This race was a ton of fun.  Bands along the way, if you were fast enough you could of got free donuts at mile 5 (if someone would of handed me a donut then, I would have called it quits), the tons of free food and tents at the end.

This race experience really has me excited about running another race.  This time will training.  Theres no way in the world I am ever going to run a race that long again with no training.  One of the dumbest mistakes I have ever made in my life.  I hurt from head to toe, even my elbows were sore.  It took three days to walk like a normal person.

Links to photos: (you will have to click to zoom in, then click me to see it clear)
Only I would finish with a smile on my face!
Focused!

No comments:

Post a Comment